Zeta is a small emulator, implementing a fraction of a DOS-compatible environment just large enough to run ZZT and Super ZZT, allowing user-friendly and accurate usage of them in modern
environments, as well as easy packaging, distribution and embedding of ZZT games.
- 100% gameplay accuracy - it's an emulator, not a clone,
- Automatic, CPU-friendly speed scaling, taking into account ZZT's engine design,
- Easy to port to various platforms, including:
- SDL (Windows, Linux, BSD, macOS, ...),
- Web (WebAssembly-based; modern web browsers),
- Curses (play ZZT in your terminal!),
- Android (work in progress),
- Small footprint.
To run the emulator, you'll need a copy of ZZT or Super ZZT extracted in the same directory!
(For the web version, it loads in ZIP files directly - so the "zzt.zip" file should suffice.)
- To use Zeta with ZZT, just drop it into a directory with ZZT or Super ZZT and double-click the executable!
- To use Zeta with KevEdit:
- If you want to release a ZZT game stand-alone, you can just rename the Zeta emulator to match your game.
For example, if your game file is "COOLGAME.ZZT", just rename Zeta to "COOLGAME.EXE"!
- If you want to release a ZZT game in browser form on itch.io:
- Use the HTML5 download as a base,
- Edit index.html to point to your game's ZIP file and the ZZT .ZIP file,
- Set the canvas size to 640x350.
- To get WiL's ZZT 4.0/4.1 running, use UPX to decompress the EXE first - the decompression stub used by those executables requires a 386+, which Zeta does not emulate!
- To take screenshots in the desktop version, use F12!
beta 15 - 23rd August 2019
- [SDL, Web] Added the ability to load custom charsets and palettes in .CHR/.PAL/.PLD format!
- [Web] Added a new audio engine, matching the sound output of the SDL version.
- [Web] Added methods to control certain aspects of the engine (charsets, palettes, volume, blink cycles) during runtime from scripts.
- [Web] Added the ability to pass in extra commands to run before starting the engine.
- [Web] Minor fixes and updates.
beta 14 - 16th August 2019
- [SDL] Updated official Windows builds to use SDL 2.0.10.
- Persistent game saves!
- New configuration options - covering aspects of rendering, audio, and more advanced ZIP file loading.
- Added (limited) documentation - see readme.txt for details.
- Added on-canvas messages for emulation stopping and file download errors.
beta 12 - 7th July 2019
- [SDL] Fix HiDPI support on Windows (as found by lynn)
- Fixed in-emulator time not being set correctly
beta 11 - 16th June 2019
- [SDL] Fix rare screenshot corruption bug (as found by Dr_Dos)
- [Web] Minor code cleanup; recompiled with Emscripten 1.38.36
beta 10 - 3rd May 2019
- [Curses] Add new port! (Unfortunately, no builds at this time)
- [SDL] Add screenshot key - F12
- [SDL] Minor fixes
- [SDL] New software/fallback renderer - much more efficient (still worse than OpenGL, of course)
- [Web] Custom character set installer support
- [Web] Improved timing accuracy
- [Web] Significant code refactors
- Allow changing the 'typematic rate' via interrupts (in-emulation)
beta 9 - 17th March 2019
- [SDL] Add fullscreen toggle - ALT+ENTER
- [SDL] Allow loading multiple executables in a row with "-e"
- [SDL] Allow disabling blinking with "-b"
- [SDL] Custom character set installer support
- [Web] First public release
- Fix CPU usage regression
beta 8 - 16th March 2019
Copyright (c) 2018, 2019 Adrian Siekierka
Zeta is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.
Zeta is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.
Different licensing terms can be discussed, if necessary - contact me.
If you appreciate the work, please consider supporting me on Liberapay.